Monday, January 26, 2009

Time Flies and so do I? And so does my trainer.

Today is 12 weeks until Boston. Maybe it's because I have been so busy, but it doesn't feel like I have been training for six weeks. Which is great. And I am very happy with my last few workouts.

What I am unhappy about is that I have a case of the Minnesota blues, as my trainer, Stacy, whom I have been working out with twice a week since last summer, is moving back there on February 13th. So it is going to be up to me to push myself as hard as she has been pushing me, which has never been one of my strongest points. She has offered to be in touch by webcam and computer, but its going to be hard for her to correct my weightlifting form that way. Despite this change, I am very positive.

On January 15th, I was scheduled to do 17 miles at 9:50 pace. It was again too cold for me to go outside, so I ran on a treadmill at the gym. The gym recently spent money on new treadmills with individual televisions, and while I wish they had used the money to make Stacy an offer she couldn't have refused, the distraction helped. I did the 9:50 pace for most of the run, with a few 10 minute pace miles thrown in, and for the first ten miles I did have the elevation at 1%. I had to stop at mile 15, not because I couldn't go further, although it seemed my heart rate was really up there, but because we had to get to a memorial service for our friend Ruth. Ruth accomplished so much in our community in her 58 years that the service was held in the Garde Theater in New London, and I would estimate the crowd at over 700. Her husband Lee was also a fellow Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Runner (and I am pretty sure he will be again), and her death from cancer certainly reminded me of why I am running to raise money for cancer research.

My wife and I both grew up in Southeastern Connecticut, although two years apart we have known each other since I was in seventh grade when we both attended Pine Point. Our parents were involved in the community and as a result of all of the above, we go to more funerals than almost anyone we know. At one point this summer we had 14 funerals, calling hours or Shivas to attend in a three week period. So it won't surprise you that we also went to still another funeral and Shiva last week. This service was for a 90 year old, so more celebration of a live well-lived than anything else. I particularly enjoyed talking to a couple who have known me since my childhood, and learning for the first time that the women's mother had once been in a book club with my grandmother Molly, who died of cancer in 1968, the first death I remember. And this couple had taken dance lessons with my now divorced parents, which is an image of them that had never before entered my consciousness.

After the service, we were off to New York for two nights. Beyond seeing my college friends Harry and Sharon and their twins, we saw the play"Speed the Plough" with William Macy, Raul Esparza and Elisabeth Moss, and the movie "Waltz with Bashir". We also went to Harlem to see the Studio Museum, which had an exhibit by Barkley L. Hendricks, an artist who teaches at Connecticut College whom we know slightly. We then walked from 125th street back to our hotel at 48th in the snow. Before we left, we ate at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant. We love this cuisine on its own merits, although there is that little part of me that hopes that somehow it will make me run more like an Ethiopian.

As a result of coming back late Monday night, driving through still more snow, I blew off my speed workout for the week, and my Monday night swim. I did my Tuesday a.m. workout with Stacy, and my one hour Wednesday bike class with Coach Al at the Y. Thursday I ran a couple of miles outdoors, and then Friday at lunch I worked out with Stacy, then yoga Friday night.

Saturday's slug run was in Mystic, so I ran 5 miles in my neighborhood, then got in the car and drove to the slug run and ran another 13 miles to make 18 total. I was very pleased to do the whole 18 miles in under 3:10. Some of my comments here and on Facebook, where I couldn't resist posting my result, were surprised that I am up to 18 miles so soon (and doing 20 next weekend). This three day a week program does get your mileage up quickly, and I have five 20 milers scheduled. Most programs have you do three. I think for my body, the more 20 milers the better, as my body adapts to the distance and keeps doing them faster. Of course too many and I could get sick of them and the training altogether, or maybe get injured.

Sunday I did my usual Group Power class followed by Yoga. Which brings me to this morning. I planned on doing last weeks speed workout, 3 separate mile repeats at 7:25 pace (8.1 mph setting on the treadmill) with a couple of minute break in between. I had some doubt I could do it, my wife says I need to have more positive thinking, but regardless, I did it. I am exhausted, and still have my swim workout tonight, but with twelve weeks to go, with continued progress like this, I am starting to have positive thoughts about my four hour Boston goal.

To top off the positive developments, I have now lost 5 pounds since the start of training and am at 163. (New Edit) On Tuesday, Jan. 27, I had my body fat measured again and am down to 15.9 from my original 17.2. Stacy said that I probably lost 8 pounds of fat and put on 3 of muscle.

With any luck, and no snow, I am planning on doing my 20 miler with my Dana-Farber teammates from a gym in Watertown, where we then do the majority of the run in Newton, on a series of hills, the last one of which has its own nickname, Heartbreak.

Sorry no pics for now, but I may have the slug run picture to add to this post below so you don't have to just look at my writing.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I'm tired after reading this but maybe it's just because I've been under the weather and am just trying to get into a regular workout pattern again.

Run Neal Run said...

I hope its that and not that my writing is boring or tiresome or just too long.

Helen said...

Neal honey your writing is just fine. It's all that exercise that's making me tired.