Wednesday, December 17, 2008

168 and 17.2

168 is my current weight and 17.2 is my current body fat, as measured by my trainer Stacy. That measurement was necessary for me to see where I am, because we have been changing my body by making me stronger, including the use of free weights, thereby increasing my weight, but with muscle, not fat. Before this change, I would have said my ideal running weight would be in the low 150's, I think I was around 156 when I did my PR of 3:54 in Chicago in October 2006. Stacy and I agree that I will be in great shape for Boston if I can take off about 10 pounds before April 20, so 158 would be fine. In case you don't know me, I am just 5'8"although some day I am sure that a government agency is going to indict me for claiming to be that tall when I might be closer to 5'7 and 3/4ths. And yes, I am a big (as opposed to tall) Dustin Pedroia fan since he won the MVP award while being by all accounts shorter than me, even though he is officially listed as 5'9.


From my heaviest I lost 28 pounds, and at some point I will tell you how I did it since its good for me to remember, having given some of those pounds back. My pre weight loss Marathon PR was in Tampa in 2004 when I ran a 4:16. And it certainly makes sense that you can run faster carrying less weight.

After my run of 12.5 on Saturday, I was pretty sore on Sunday, so I skipped my weight class and went to yoga. From there I went to this seminar on running faster, which will be the sole focus of my next post, the title of which I have already posted to Facebook, increasing the pressure on me to post this and finish and post that.

This week has gone pretty well. Monday was the official start of my 18 week program, and I was supposed to do my speedwork with a 10- 20 minute warm-up, then do 12x 400 with a 90 second rest in between at 7:15 pace, then a 10 min cooldown. On the treadmill I did 8 x 400 with a 90 second rest in between at a 7:18 pace, (8.2 mph) and a total of 4 miles. To estimate 400 meters on the treadmill I just ran for 2 minutes, which was probably more than 400 meters at that pace.

On Tuesday, no cardio, just an hour training with Stacy at the gym, which does get my heart rate up.

Wednesday I was scheduled to do a 6 mile run, 2 miles easy, 3 miles at 8:15 pace, 1 mile easy. And I did a 5.5 mile run, with 2 miles at a 10 minute pace, 3 miles at 8:18 pace (7.2 mph), and then a half mile cool down. I did the miles with no elevation on the treadmill, maybe that's cheating but I wasn't sure I would be able to do that pace otherwise.

Today, Thursday, I was going to do an easy treadmill run, but Jane guilted me into going outside since it wasn't so cold, and I did a very slow 2.5 miles. I am scheduled for 13 miles on Saturday, but I can't do it in the morning, as I am doing my very first foreclosure as the committee of sale. It happens no matter how cold or how much snow is on the ground, (barring the owners' declaring bankruptcy) and I guess I have to treat my run with the same attitude. I don't want to do it on the treadmill, so hopefully the streets will be clear.

The owners have moved out of the house which will make it a lot easier to do the foreclosure sale. I know its my job but it would be really much more emotionally difficult to do the sale if the people still lived there.

1 comment:

Helen said...

"On Tuesday, no cardio, just an hour training with Stacy at the gym, which does get my heart rate up."

Is it the workout, or is it Stacy that causes this?